August 22, 2010

Chocolate Pound Cake with Chocolate-Rum Ganache

Since the weather has been so amazingly cool (anyone else ready for autumn?), I decided it was time to fire up my oven and bake something chocolate and something sweet. I found a chocolate pound cake recipe on allrecipes that sounded delicious, especially with the coffee granules, so I decided to give it a try. I also pulled out my favorite chocolate ganache recipe and thought the two chocolates together would make for a delectable treat. Calling all chocoholics! This is for you.


Ingredients:

Chocolate Pound Cake

  • 1 1/2 c butter, softenend
  • 3 c white sugar
  • 5 eggs
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp instant coffee granules dissolved in 1/4 c hot water
  • 1 c milk
  • 1 tbsp white vinegar
  • 2 c all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
Chocolate Ganache
  • 9 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 c heavy cream
  • 1 tbsp dark rum (optional but so worth it!)
Directions:

  • Make the pound cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan. Mix flour, cocoa, baking poder and salt together; set aside.
  • In a large bowl (I use my Kitchen Aid, cream together butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla.
  • Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the dissolved coffee, milk and vinegar.
  • Pour better into prepared pan.
  • Bake for 65 to 70 minutes (mine took 70 minutes), until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
  • Cool in the pan for 20 minutes.
  • Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  • Sprinkle with powdered sugar or pour ganache over (recipe follows).
  • Make the chocolate ganache: Place chocolate in a medium bowl.
  • Heat cream over medium heat in a small sauce pan. Bring it to just a boil, watching very carefully because if it boils for a few seconds, it will boil over.
  • Pour cream over chopped chocolate, whisk until smooth. Stir in rum, if desired.
  • Allow ganache to cool slightly before pouring over the cake.
  • Start at the center of the cake and move outward.
  • For a fluffy frosting or chocolate filling: Allow it to coll until thick. Then whip with a whisk until it becomes light and fluffy.

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that looks so decadent, naughty, and chocolatey; three of my favorite adjectives!

    I make all my chocolate recipes with a lil coffee, really brings out the chocolate flavor, though, beware when serving to children. My one year-old didn't sleep for days after I baked a Crack Chocolate cake made with a cup of coffee! Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sommer, it really does bring out the flavor! I made the mistake of having a piece of it last night and I am very sensitive to caffeine! At least it gave me the "motivation" to watch the entire 16 innings of the Phillies game last night lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, this looks like heaven. I like the little bit of coffee and rum in it. I will have to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I like your blog page! Keep cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely!All ur recipes r well presented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristin, the rum is what makes this ganache IMHO. Lani, thank you so much! I'm a regular visitor to your blog :) Prats Corner, Thanks! I visited your blog and see some recipes I'd like to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. everytime I see a bundt cake I think of my big fat greek wedding, where the ladies couldn't figure out why there was a hole in the cake.....yours does look delicious, especially with the extra chocolate topping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chef Dennis, lol! It's funny you say that because as I was writing the post, I was envisioning the mother trying to say "bundt" while shaking and pointing her fingers to her teeth to help accentuate the word. SO FUNNY!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: