March 24, 2014

Cinnamon Applesauce Crumb Cake


Confession.  I'm not the best baker in the world.  I'll admit it - I don't like sticking to recipes, and I especially don't like measuring out ingredients.  I guess it's just because I'm lazy I'm so used to not measuring things when I'm cooking.  With baking, everything has to be exact - there's no eyeballing it.  So, one of the things I have been trying to do recently is bettering myself in the baking department.      

My husband and I recently came across some delicious Amish applesauce cake that we both loved.  He asked me over this past weekend to try to recreate it for him.  Trouble is, I've never made applesauce cake before, and I'm definitely not the most confident baker in the world.  After doing a little research, I came across a recipe from Gourmet that has received some highly rated reviews.  I made a few slight changes to the recipe and added my own crumb topping to it.  It turned out delicious!  It was easy to make, moist, and not too sweet - just right.  This is a great cake that can be eaten for dessert and breakfast - definitely a keeper!




Ingredients:
Adapted from Gourmet

  • 2 tbsp confectioners' sugar
  • 2 c all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon 
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg 
  • 1/2 c butter, softened 
  • 1 c packed dark brown sugar 
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 
  • 2 large eggs 
  • 1 1/2 c sweetened applesauce 

Crumb Topping:

  • 2/3 c brown sugar 
  • 1/4 c all-purpose flour 
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon 
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted 

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Butter an 8 inch baking pan.  Add the confectioners' sugar and move it around to coat the inside of the pan evenly.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  In a separate large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla together until light and fluffy.  Beat the eggs in one at a time, and then beat in the applesauce, until well combined.  Stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients in batches, until just combined.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan.  

Make the crumb topping.  In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter.  Sprinkle the crumb topping mixture evenly over the batter.  

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Allow the cake to cool for 20 minutes in the pan.  Run a knife around the outer edge to loosen the cake from the pan. 

Cut into squares and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: