July 15, 2014

Our Favorite Guacamole


The first time I introduced my husband to guacamole, he was not a fan of it.  At.  All.  I, on the other hand, am a self-proclaimed guacamoholic.  It's very healthy, but I try hard not to overindulge because of the high calorie count.  A few years back, we fell in love with these beautiful salads at a local Mexican restaurant that included a little side of guacamole.  I don't know if it was because they used less lime than we were used to, but my husband was hooked... and so was my little sous chef!  This recipe is my copycat version, and it's pretty darn close.  It's delicious, creamy, and very easy to make.  We like our guacamole smooth and creamy with a few chunks here and there, but if you prefer it chunky, just mash less.  




Ingredients:


  • 2 ripe avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped  
  • 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped 
  • 1 tbsp Vidalia onion, finely minced 
  • 1/2 tomato, seeds and pulp removed; chopped
  • 1/4 tsp garlic, finely minced
  • Optional:  1 jalapeno pepper, seeded; finely minced
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • Pinch of pepper, or to taste


Directions:

In a small bowl, add the avocado and lime juice.  Use a potato masher and mash to desired consistency.  

Fold in the cilantro, onion, tomato, garlic, and optional jalapeno.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.  

Cover tightly and chill for 30 minutes before serving.  

Enjoy!

Up close and personal:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: