December 17, 2014

Busy Weeknight American Goulash with Turkey & Whole Wheat Pasta


I'm still here and still cooking every day!  I've had quite a few things on my plate (pun intended!) this past month, so I've had zero time for blogging.  Correction.  Any time that I did have for blogging, I used to work on things like my daughters 10th birthday party, my dad's surprise 60th birthday party, Thanksgiving stuff, Christmas stuff, etc.  I'm definitely not complaining, though.  I have been blessed with so many people in my life that I love and cherish who also happen to take up a lot of my time!   

With everything that's been going on, I wanted to pause and share with you one of my easy & tasty recipes that I whip up on a crazy weeknight.  Now, I don't always use ground turkey, and I don't always use whole wheat pasta.  Sometimes, I'll use a beef/pork mixture with regular pasta; sometimes, I'll use cooked shredded chicken - it all depends on what I have on hand!  That's the beauty of this recipe.  Just toss in whatever you have!  For the tomato sauce, we used our homemade sauce from the garden tomatoes this year.  



Ingredients:
Serves 3-4


  • 1/2 lb (8 oz) whole wheat pasta 
  • 1 tbsp avocado oil
  • 1/4 c onion, minced 
  • 1/4 c green pepper, minced 
  • 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced 
  • 1/2 lb ground turkey
  • 1/2 c tomato, diced 
  • 1 1/2 c tomato sauce 
  • 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/8 tsp ground pepper
  • 1/8 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp dried parsley
  • 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste 
  • Shredded cheddar cheese, for topping 
  • Chopped green onion, for garnish 

Directions:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add the whole wheat pasta, and cook until al dente.  Drain and set aside.  

Meanwhile, heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the onion and green pepper, and cook for 3 minutes.  Add the garlic, and cook for 1 minute longer.  Add the ground turkey and season with salt.  Cook and stir until no longer pink.  Pour in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Worcestershire.  Season with pepper, oregano, and parsley.  Stir in the Parmesan cheese.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  

Stir in the cooked pasta.  Continue to simmer for 5 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Serve with cheddar cheese and green onion.  

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks!
    Cooking is my favorite. Thanks for nice post and I will try it!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: