February 14, 2015

Perfect Crispy Homemade Hash Browns


Every Saturday morning, I cook a big breakfast for my family.  It's one of my favorite parts of the week.  The smell of bacon, the sound of dishes clanging, the warm mug of coffee in my hands, the sight of my family in their PJs... and as an added bonus, the scene of snowflakes falling silently outside the back door.  When I asked my family what sounded good for breakfast this morning, my husband suggested hash browns.  As I got to work on the potatoes, I quickly realized that I've never shared my hash browns recipe.  They aren't the prettiest things in the world to photograph, but they sure are delicious!  This method yields perfectly crispy hash browns... or as my little sous chef mistakenly called them this morning, hashtags!  The potatoes are sliced, squeezed of as much liquid as possible, par-cooked in the microwave, and then fried in a skillet.            


Ingredients:

  • 2 large Russett potatoes, peeled 
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp bacon fat
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder 
  • 1/4 tsp onion salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • Salt, to taste 

Directions:

Preheat a griddle to 350 degrees, or a large skillet to medium heat.  

Julienne the potatoes.  Wrap them in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.  

Place the potatoes on a microwave-safe plate.  Cover and cook on high for 1 minute.  Stir.  Cover and cook on high for 1 minute longer.  



Add the butter and bacon fat to the hot griddle or skillet.  Once the butter has melted, add the potatoes.  Season with half of the garlic powder, onion salt, and pepper called for in the ingredients.  Cook for 3 minutes.

Turn the potatoes over.  Season with the remaining garlic powder, onion salt, and pepper.  Cover and cook for 4 minutes longer.



Turn the potatoes over again.  Cover and cook for 4 more minutes.

Remove the cover and continue cooking on both sides, until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 6 to 10 more minutes, depending on how crispy you prefer them.  Season with salt, to taste.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: